Since February of 2009, Luce has served as the executive director and the principal official in charge of the day-to-day operation of the Indiana Sheriff’s Association (ISA). Luce has engaged in public appearances, media briefings, legislative hearings and public speaking on the behalf of the Association. In addition he has engaged in National Sheriff Association and national law enforcement events as a representative for the ISA.
Prior to Executive Director Luce’s appointment to the Indiana Sheriffs’ Association his career spanned over 25 years in law enforcement and correction services. In 1985, Luce began his career with the Knox County Work Release Program as the supervisor of the work release program. In 1990 he was hired on to the Vincennes Police Department as a Patrolman working much of his time as a School Liaison Officer. In 1997 he was appointed as a Deputy with the Knox County Sheriff’s Office and was elected as the Knox County Sheriff in 2002 and re-elected to a second term in 2006. During his term as the Knox County Sheriff, Luce served on the board of directors for the Indiana Sheriff s Association and was appointed president of the association. In 2007, he was also appointed by Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels to the Indiana Juvenile Justice Advisory Board. Luce graduated from the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy, in June of 1990 after studying at Indiana University, Hanover College and Murray State University.
Other notable positions and recognitions:
- 2010 Chair of the Indiana Sheriff s Association Sex Offender Registry Committee.
- Secretary for the National Sheriff s Association.
- State Executive Directors and Presidents Committee.
- Appointed by Governor Mitch Daniels to The Indiana Criminal Sentencing Reinvestment Project Team.
- Appointed by Governor Daniels to the Indiana Domestic Violence State Advisory Board.
- Indiana American Legion Lewis Schmidt Law Officer of the Year award (2006).
- Sagamore of the The Wabash Award (2007).
- Distinguished Hoosier Award (2007).
- Indiana Veteran s of Foreign Wars Law Officer of the Year Award (2008).